Thursday, February 17, 2011

La Jolla Summer-to-Winter Beach comparison

I've been working on an Oceanography telecourse; in the clip below the instructor describes how the tides change the terrain of the beach depending on the season. I lined up a summer shot back in 2009 where I had to take extra precaution to write down & photograph my tripods exact location, the exact extension of each tripod leg and the exact tilt of the tripod head in order to get as close to matching as I could 6 months after I filmed the original summer shot in order to get the second half of this visual demonstration. Check out how it turned out:


La Jolla Beach Time-Lapse (Summer-to-Winter comparison; 2010) from Eric Sever on Vimeo.

Camera techniques aside, I thought the lesson was quite interesting. I've been going to this beach in La Jolla (California) for most of my life, but I never realized that the sand is carried away with the tide in the winter, only to return by the time it's warm enough for me to go back in the water in the summer. It seems like I receded  from the beach in the winter, just as the sand did throughout most of my life.

Working on the Oceanography telecourse was an awesome experience as a camera operator. I spent a great deal of my summer at the beach & diving in the ocean for work; it doesn't get much better than that! Here is the opening sequence to the Oceanography telecourse series:


OCEANOGRAPHY 100 (Telecourse) Introduction from Eric Sever on Vimeo.

[E.]

No comments: